What do you want to see in OT?

Threads regarding the game, but not specific rules queries or resources.

What do you want to see in OT?

Postby Boneguard » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:07 am

Warden wrote:Thought it would be interesting to hear what posters would like to see in the game. For me:

A down and dirty setting akin to the 'Olde Worlde' (Warhammer)

A game that talks about infected wounds, grimy faces, risking sanity

Decadent nobles with a dirty underbelly and filthy beggars with a hero's heart

Contrasts between the haves and the have nots.

Hit locations in combat, sudden death critical (rare, but possible nonetheless)

Low magic where a fireball is the be all and end all (no 'Wish' spells, and no 'teleport/scry (i.e: campaign wrecking) magics

An open system allowing any kind of non-combat magical effect (like in 13th Age) to make magicians feel really magical (this doesn't have to contradict the low magic theme above)

Political backstabbing, scandals, real powers behind the throne, corruption

The usual :D

fifty wrote:
Warden wrote:Thought it would be interesting to hear what posters would like to see in the game.

A down and dirty setting akin to the 'Olde Worlde' (Warhammer) ...check!
Certainly I think Uma is a detailed and real feeling setting.

A game that talks about infected wounds, grimy faces, risking sanity ...check!
We have rules for infection, addiction, and the corruption of body and mind.

Decadent nobles with a dirty underbelly and filthy beggars with a hero's heart ...hmm maybe
I'd have to honestly say that this depends on OM & PCs

Contrasts between the haves and the have nots. ...check!
Lifestyle level and costs formalises the effects of living in squalor as compares to the lap of luxury

Hit locations in combat, sudden death critical (rare, but possible nonetheless)
....check!
We have hit locations and specific injury charts that can give you anything from a sprained ankle to decapitation. all related to the level of wounds you've already suffered and the comparative power of the blow that injures you.

Low magic where a fireball is the be all and end all (no 'Wish' spells, and no 'teleport/scry (i.e: campaign wrecking) magics ...check!
well sort of - such things as teleport or scry might be possible but they would be far out of the reach of 'ordinary' magic users.

An open system allowing any kind of non-combat magical effect (like in 13th Age) to make magicians feel really magical (this doesn't have to contradict the low magic theme above...check!
OT has four high and four low magic systems, but skilled and imaginative wielders can combine or alter them in an infinite number of ways, our rules give several examples of how this might be done and it is a subject we will definitely revisit in future material.

Political backstabbing, scandals, real powers behind the throne, corruption
...check!
We have global conspiracies, factions wielding hidden influence and rebellious states flirting with political and religious independence as well as open war.

...Seems OT is the game for you! ;D

Warden wrote:Fair play, I think you might just be right! :D

I do bang on a bit about WFRP and in particular the setting. The rules, warts and all are a bit clunky and show their age, but man that setting! It positively drips with character.

Couple o' questions and an observation

The map of the Archipelago, where is that in the setting?

Whilst the map of Uma looks nice, it reminds of a huge green leaf with it's texture and river like veins. Will this be the final map or will you be adding something with more detail?

The Battari feel similar to the Muslims of around 400 AD, but I can't quite place the Dromish

Ant wrote:Im also a huge fan of WFRP - being a long time player of that great game (1st game I ran for a group, hardbacked 1st ed) I know what you mean

The feel of the game is dirt and real, its politics and grimy real life kind of game world. Orbis also drips with character (I think)

As for the Dromish - they are akin to the Arabians of Scheherazade, or the ancient Persians and Arabians, thats my take on them anyway.

Warden wrote:
Ant wrote:Im also a huge fan of WFRP - being a long time player of that great game (1st game I ran for a group, hardbacked 1st ed) I know what you mean

The feel of the game is dirt and real, its politics and grimy real life kind of game world. Orbis also drips with character (I think)

As for the Dromish - they are akin to the Arabians of Scheherazade, or the ancient Persians and Arabians, thats my take on them anyway.

Arabians! That's who they remind me of :D

Thanks

348 White wrote:I concur with Ant's list of cultures representing the Dromish.
Possibly the intrigue, courts and warriors of Calormen written by C.S. Lewis are another a similar culture, especially as detailed and illustrated in 'The Horse and his Boy'. (Naturally C21 Hollywood chose to ignore this).
Maybe a few of the fabulous realms of Clark Ashton Smith as well ?

Warden wrote:Are there horses in the setting? Unless a setting has horses in it, I find it too much a step from the kind of setting I'd enjoy playing in

Ant wrote:There are horse like creatures - certainly animals that serve that function both as beasts burden and war

shorty_monster wrote:The horse creatures aren't common or cheap though. They're called tethers, and only the wealthy or those who cannot survive without them will usually be seen riding them. very much not a western style setting for the most part, but set much prior to that kind of frontier expanding mindset. Travel is possible, but going it on your own with your possessions and a horse will likely not see you make it to your destination.

People mainly travel between cities and settlements in groups for the safety it affords, with large animals called Hormorn pulling the caravans.

I think everyone is correct though in saying that if you like WFRP for its setting, Orbis is the game for you. Hunt out some Fritz Leiber and read the stories of fafhrd and the grey mouser to give you an idea of what to expect.

Ant wrote:There is another creature that does what horses do to

I think Pelosians use them to pull chariots

fifty wrote:
Warden wrote: Couple o' questions and an observation

The map of the Archipelago, where is that in the setting?

Whilst the map of Uma looks nice, it reminds of a huge green leaf with it's texture and river like veins. Will this be the final map or will you be adding something with more detail?

The Archipelago is several days south of the peninsula that extends off the bottom of the map, I might do a 'zoomed back' view at some point to illustrate this.

The Uma map is going to have all the points of interest marked on from the backers as well as other details like river names and terrain features etc.. At some pint I will do a 'antique' style version of this map, but its not currently a priority! :D
Gaming is not a Hobby. It's a way of life!

Populating Hraldarthorp and Northern Hutzlun since 2013!
Boneguard

Return to Other OT stuff