Core book PDF V2 - Comments and typo Thread

Threads regarding the game, but not specific rules queries or resources.

Core book PDF V2 - Comments and typo Thread

Postby Boneguard » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:56 am

boneguard wrote:Now that the new PDF is out, here's the official comments thread.

So far, I've been looking through it and it's great. The arts and extra material are wonderful.

Small typo though on p.304 (page 313 of the pdf). In the boxed text: "[...] and the usually isolated Haraldarthorpe [...]" Hraldarthorp has been (mis)spelt with an extra 'a' and an extra 'e'

The same typo also appears on p.338 (page 347 of the pdf) in the first and third paragraph under the Hraldarthorp description (and the boxed text "Adventuring in Hraldarthorpe" has the extra "e" and is missing it's 'l').

Also on page 338 (347) for the vaingir, should it not be Marnon with an 'o' and not Marnun with a 'u'?

Other then that...beautiful product.

netobvious wrote:
boneguard wrote:Now that the new PDF is out, here's the official comments thread.

So far, I've been looking through it and it's great. The arts and extra material are wonderful.

Small typo though on p.304 (page 313 of the pdf). In the boxed text: "[...] and the usually isolated Haraldarthorpe [...]" Hraldarthorp has been (mis)spelt with an extra 'a' and an extra 'e'

The same typo also appears on p.338 (page 347 of the pdf) in the first and third paragraph under the Hraldarthorp description (and the boxed text "Adventuring in Hraldarthorpe" has the extra "e" and is missing it's 'l').

Also on page 3338 (347) for the vaingir, should it not be Marnon with an 'o' and not Marnun with a 'u'?

Other then that...beautiful product.

Nooooo! Not those dreadful typos. We must include "Hraldarthorp" and other Orbis-speciality words in the spellcheckers that you guys use. But I think page 3338 is a typo too? :oops:

boneguard wrote:If they are the only typo we have to deal with, then it is an excellent and well proofed print (let's be honest, it really hard to be typo free).

Netobvious idea to have Orbis specific word added to one's spellcheckers is a good one too.

netobvious wrote:Page (iii) "Heroes and Metier", sentence 3, an unnecessary "you" in the sentence: "It's a statement of who you your hero is at their core."

Page (iv), paragraph 3, sentence 1: "it's a bit like acting in play, but you're making it up (your role) as you go".
CORRECTION: Either remove "your role" or place it within brackets.

Page (iv), paragraph 7: "Just us, it's easier to try it than to explain it" should be "Trust us,"

Page 1,"Majhbe", sentence 1 "...ringed by shimmering belt of speckles."
CORRECTION: "...ringed by a shimmering belt of speckles".

Page 1, "Lethea", sentence 2. INCONSISTENCY. The moon is referred as "she" and also as "it". One form of address should be used in all related sentences.
sentence 3: "Mere sailors talk most likely".
CORRECTION: "Mere sailors' talk, most likely".

Page 1, "The Seven Phoca", sentence 3, "An eight phoca is said to be visible is a ship sails..."
CORRECTION: "An eight phoca is said to be visible if a ship sails..."

fifty wrote:Boneguard mentioned privately that he hoped we didn't take this thread too harshly so I thought I'd take a moment to say a resounding 'no', and to talk about our proofreading 'policy'

...to be honest we had to make a judgement call about how far to go with our proof reading, some of our volunteer proof readers were very keen and pointed out all our errors - like 'comma bracketed phrasing' and such - which still means nothing to me!! :lol: - whilst others did what we sort of asked for and concentrated on spelling and grammar that made thing unclear or unreadable, and any rules clashes we might have missed.

In a few cases I even ignored things that we could have changed - purely because changing a sentence - or sometimes even a word, meant that a sentence then broke across to the next line, and this then cascaded to throw every paragraph and page layout thereafter out!

Sounds crazy I know but it's true! :o

I guess with more time and money we could have ironed out every wrinkle but we felt there was a balance to be struck - certainly I think we ended up with a decent job considering we didn't get professional proof reading, layout and editing done, (the cost of which is phenomenal I can tell you) and this meant all the funds could go towards lovely pictures instead!

So to sum - Go for it here, we won't take it personally and will continue to correct bits and bobs as we see them for future reprints and PDF updates 8-)

boneguard wrote:
fifty wrote: I guess with more time and money we could have ironed out every wrinkle but we felt there was a balance to be struck - certainly I think we ended up with a decent job considering we didn't get professional proof reading, layout and editing done, (the cost of which is phenomenal I can tell you) and this meant all the funds could go towards lovely pictures instead!

I agree with you on this one as I would have done the same thing, if I were in your situation. And to my experience the work done by amateur (as in "hobbyist" or "non-professional") volunteers can be as good if not better then professionals work as they tend to put more care into it.
Gaming is not a Hobby. It's a way of life!

Populating Hraldarthorp and Northern Hutzlun since 2013!
Boneguard

Return to Other OT stuff