New Weapons

Threads regarding the game, but not specific rules queries or resources.

New Weapons

Postby Boneguard » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:59 am

boneguard wrote:I present to you six new weapons that could be used by adventurers or OM's characters. As you can see these weapons are not so much offensive weapons, but entangling weapons.

Entangle:
Whenever a character is caught in something he his considered entangled. When entangled he suffers a -20 to any appropriate skills checks. He can attempted to break free, either by wiggling out of by brute force, but forfeit any reactive defense.

A character with entangled legs could trip (or be tripped) into a prone position, effectively making the character Knocked down.

Weapon Pin:
A variation of the Unarmed combat Pin maneouver.

Like the unarmed maneouver, the attacker may forgo any damage and attempt to catch his opponent limbs or neck in an attempt to pin him. And, like the unarmed maneouver, an opposed STR check (with the same modifier of a throw) is required to pin the opponent. Specialy designed weapon makes this maneouver easier and make untangling oneself a lot harder. A successful limb pinned consecutively for 2 CT can not broken, A successful neck pin can not be broken, without seriously endangering oneself.

Weighted net:
An unusual weapon derived from the fisherman's net, this weapon is usually seen in the hand of Pelosian gladiators. It usually consist of a hexagonal net (roughly 3 to 3.6 meters across) with weights at the end (either lead or sotnes). It often has a trailing line that allowto retrieve it or pull the entangled foe.

Weapon: Net, weighted
Style: Ranged
Size/Type: L/B (special)
Range: 2
Group: 00
Weight: 2.7
Price: 20 Dt
Special: -10 to attack roll if used one-handed, -20 to attack roll is tossed after it has opened. Can attempt to trip an opponent with an opposed strength test. Cannot parry. Doesn't usually cause damage, unless it is flailed around in which case the lead weight cause SMALL damage

Lasso:
A simple, yet ubiquitous, weapon that consist of a rope with a noose at one end, it is used to tie up one's foe.

Weapon: Lasso
Size/Type: M/Special
Weight: 1.4
Price: 20 A
Special: Doesn't cause any damage. Can attempt to trip an opponent with an opposed strength test. Cannot parry.

Pole lasso:
A variant of the lasso, this weapon consist of a light pole, a rope with a noose at one end, it is used to tie up one's foe from horseback. the pole can be used -poorly- to parry. It is primarely used by the Battari horsemen.

Weapon: Pole lasso
Size/Type: L/B(Special)
Weight: 5.9
Price: 30 Cr
Special: Pole could be used as an oversized quarterstaff at -20 to attack, -15 to parry, -2DA and -2RM as it it 2 meters long and relatively light. Can attempt to trip an opponent with an opposed strength test.

Bolas:
a primitive, but effective, weapon that usually have 2 or 3 balls (although some can have as little as 1 ball or as many as nice) tied together. Wooden or stones balls are quite common amongst the Uru -where it is quite common. Stones in a leather sack or lead balls are also common, especially in more civilized culture.

Weapon: Bolas
Size/Type: S/B
Range: 10
Weight: 1.1
Price: 3 Ml or 8 A
Special: Cannot parry

Entangler spear:
An Entangler spear is a Dromish weapon used by law enforcement to capture rather then kill criminals. The spear has 4 long barbs (2 facing forward, 2 backward) that can be used to catch the opponent sleeves or pants legs. It can be used to both entangle or pin an opponent.

Weapon: Entangler spear
Style: Fencing
Size/Type: L/P
Range: --
Group: 05
Weight: 6.2
Price: 35 Sm
Special: +10 attack 'Fending', +15 Attack To Entangle/pin, -10 to parry, +2DA, It cannot be thrown (Unlike most spear).

Pole claws:
Another law enforcement weapon of the Dromish, This weapon consist in a unsharpen two-prong metal head (Sometimes sping-loaded), used to pin limbs or -preferably- the neck. A more vicious version will have spikes inside, insuring the cooperation of the captive.

Weapon: Pole claws
Style: Brawling
Size/Type: S/B (M/P for the spiked version)
Group: 06
Weight: 6.9
Price: 40Sm
Special: +10 attack 'fending' +20 attack to pin, +15 to parry -2DM -1RM

348 White wrote:Maybe add note on space requirements to use some of these despite S size for weight etc?

Pole lasso is probably equally valid for horse riding cultures.

I've stated up velocchi balls for use as a weapon of desperation, these might get printed in an OT supplement or other.

boneguard wrote:
348 White wrote:Maybe add note on space requirements to use some of these despite S size for weight etc?

True, I've already put the Net as a Large weapon but with damage as small. Maybe I should clarify that a bit. Thanks

348 White wrote:Pole lasso is probably equally valid for horse riding cultures.

I did not thought about that -I had the traditional lasso in mind- but yes definitively a valid option for any riding culture.

348 White wrote:I've stated up velocchi balls for use as a weapon of desperation, these might get printed in an OT supplement or other.

Cool.

boneguard wrote:Pole lasso:
A variant of the lasso, this weapon consist of a light pole, a rope with a noose at one end, it is used to tie up one's foe from horseback. the pole can be used -poorly- to parry

Size/Type: L/B(Special)
Price: 40 A
Special: Pole could be used as an oversized quarterstaff at -20 to attack, -15 to parry, -2DA and -2RM as it it 2 meters long and relatively light. Can attempt to trip an opponent with an opposed strength test.

fifty wrote:Ooo - I love these!
I can definitely see Battari nomads using lasso or pole lasso to catch rogue Daemons, Dromish interlopers... or unlucky adventurers for a bit of summary justice! :)

netobvious wrote:
I can definitely see Battari nomads using lasso or pole lasso to catch rogue Daemons, Dromish interlopers... or unlucky adventurers for a bit of summary justice! :)

The Pole Lasso, is it also used by dog catchers on animal rescue?

boneguard wrote:

I'm not 100% on how they would stand in game play (balance-wise) as I did not play test them, but yeah it does add some color to the setting.

netobvious wrote:

The Pole Lasso, is it also used by dog catchers on animal rescue?

Basically yes, they use a modern version of a pole lasso.

348 White wrote:I think most exotic weapons ideally need a country of origin or a cult, military arm etc that they are generally associated or originate from. and that their availability is limited outside these regions etc.

boneguard wrote:I agree with you, on that one.

That's why the weighted net was associated to the Pelosian Gladiator, the Bolas to the Uru, the lasso is pretty general, but the pole lasso would be common with a horseman culture: Battari (as indicated by Fifty) sounds good.

Obviously some other group (eg. bounty hunter) might use them despite not being culturally associated to them.

348 White wrote:I can imagine that some Dromish city guards might use 'sleeve tangling' spears, or similar devices (complete with polite and effusive apologies) if their duties ever required to act against an individual of a high caste. :)
Gaming is not a Hobby. It's a way of life!

Populating Hraldarthorp and Northern Hutzlun since 2013!
Boneguard

Re: New Weapons

Postby Boneguard » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:02 am

boneguard wrote:Sleeve tangler/Mancatcher could be a challenge to figure out.

Let me think about it.

fifty wrote:Yeah - I guess it could use the Pin option from the unarmed combat rules...

Pin: The attacker forgoes damage in an attempt to pin his opponent.

The attacker must make an opposed STR check with the same modifiers as for a throw.

If the attacker is unsuccessful the grapple is not held and combatants are considered separated immediately.

If the attacker is successful then the defender is held (incapacitated and unable to take active actions) until the attacker’s next initiative.

Unless the attacker releases the hold first, on the attacker’s initiative each CT another opposed STR check as above must be made (with the results as above).

If the pin is held for four successive CT then no further opposed STR checks are required as the defender is put in a full hold for as long as the attacker desires.

NB: The attacker is classed as ‘very restricted’ should they come under attack from any other opponent whilst keeping up the hold.

:?:

boneguard wrote:Sweet !

Thanks Fifty, it will indeed help a lot. I might have to modifiy a bit the pinning rules to take into account it is not hand ot hand, but yes this is very helpful and would work well for the sleeve tangler and the mancatcher (more so then my entangling rules)

fifty wrote:A pleasure! :) look forward to seeing the finished item 8-)

boneguard wrote:For 348White, Here's my attempt for a sleeve tangler and a man catcher.

First post is updated with everything (as always CC is welcomed).

Weapon Pin:
A variation of the Unarmed combat Pin maneouver.

Like the unarmed maneouver, the attacker may forgo any damage and attempt to catch his opponent limbs or neck in an attempt to pin him. And, like the unarmed maneouver, an opposed STR check (with the same modifier of a throw) is required to pin the opponent. Specialy designed weapon makes this maneouver easier and make untangling oneself a lot harder. A successful limb pinned consecutively for 2 CT can not broken, A successful neck pin can not be broken, without seriously endangering oneself.

Entangler spear:
An Entangler spear is a Dromish weapon used by law enforcement to capture rather then kill criminals. The spear has 4 long barbs (2 facing forward, 2 backward) that can be used to catch the opponent sleeves or pants legs. It can be used to both entangle or pin an opponent.

Special: +10 attack 'Fending', +15 Attack To Entangle/pin, -10 to parry, +2DA, It cannot be thrown (Unlike most spear).

Pole claws:
Another law enforcement weapon of the Dromish, This weapon consist in a unsharpen two-prong metal head (Sometimes sping-loaded), used to pin limbs or -preferably- the neck. A more vicious version will have spikes inside, insuring the cooperation of the captive.

Special: +10 attack 'fending' +20 attack to pin, +15 to parry -2DM -1RM

fifty wrote:great stuff - Now I have to figure out a reason to use them in my campaign! ;D

boneguard wrote:
fifty wrote:great stuff - Now I have to figure out a reason to use them in my campaign! ;D

Hopefully they are not (too) unbalanced and provide just enough flavor to really get players be like "What just happend?" without becoming mainstream.

Boneguard

Postby Boneguard » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:02 am

boneguard wrote:updated to the new special rules for the weapons.

Weighted net:
An unusual weapon derived from the fisherman's net, this weapon is usually seen in the hand of Pelosian gladiators. It usually consists of a hexagonal net (roughly 3 to 3.6 meters across) with weights at the end (either lead or stones). It often has a trailing line that allows retrieving it or pulling the entangled foe.

Weapon: Net, weighted
Size/Type: L/B (special)
Weight: 2.7
Price: 20 Dt
Special: Pelosian, Defenceless, Disarming, Tripping; -10 to attack roll if used one-handed, -20 to attack roll is tossed after it has opened. Doesn't usually cause damage, unless it is flailed around in which case the lead weight cause SMALL damage

Lasso:
A simple, yet ubiquitous, weapon that consist of a rope with a noose at one end, it is used to tie up one's foe.

Weapon: Lasso
Size/Type: M/Special
Weight: 1.4
Price: 20 A
Special: Defenceless, Tripping; Does not cause any damage.

Pole lasso:
A variant of the lasso, this weapon consist of a light pole, a rope with a noose at one end, it is used to tie up one's foe from horseback. The pole can be used -poorly- to parry. It is primarily used by the Battari horsemen.

Size/Type: L/B (Special)
Price: 30 Cr
Special: Battari. Tripping Pole could be used as an oversized quarterstaff (Guarded, Light, Tripping).

Bolas:
a primitive, but effective, weapon that usually have 2 or 3 balls (although some can have as little as 1 ball or as many as nice) tied together. Wooden or stones balls are quite common amongst the Uru -where it is quite common. Stones in a leather sack or lead balls are also common, especially in more civilized culture.

Weapon: Bolas
Weight: 1.1
Price: 3 Ml or 8 A
Special: Uru, defenceless

Entangler spear:
An Entangler spear is a Dromish weapon used by law enforcement to capture rather than kill criminals. The spear has 4 long barbs (2 facing forward, 2 backward) that can be used to catch the opponent sleeves or pants legs. It can be used to either entangle or pin an opponent.

Special: Dromish, Fending, Fast, It cannot be thrown.

Pole claws:
Another law enforcement weapon of the Dromish, This weapon consist in a unshapen two-prong metal head (Sometimes spring-loaded), used to pin limbs or -preferably- the neck. A more vicious version will have spikes inside, insuring the cooperation of the captive.

Special: Dromish, Fending, slow, Disarming, tripping

Boneguard

Postby 348 White » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Rules for harpoons and tridents would be nice for nautical themed characters.
348 White

Postby Boneguard » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:16 pm

348 White wrote:Rules for harpoons and tridents would be nice for nautical themed characters.

I got a couple ideas

A modified javelin or spear for the harpoon.

(great) Spear or spike haft weapon for the trident.

hmm, give me until Monday and I'll cook up something.

Boneguard

Postby Boneguard » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Impaling
Some weapons are designed to remain in its victim, making removing them nearly impossible, in order to prevent escape, and very painful when successful. Impaling confers these bonus. The Impaled victim movement can be hindered (-20 to relevant test), hard to remove (Double attacker strength vs half the defender strength) and if it is ripped out it cause D4+DA damage, ignoring armour.

Weapon-Catching
Some weapon by the nature of their head can be used more easier for defence. When declaring "Active Defence" this weapon becomes "Defensive" for parrying purpose, as enemy weapon can be catch in its prongs.

Harpoon:
A cross between a javelin and a spear, a harpoon is used by fisher and phoca hunter and it is designed for penetration and impalement. The Head is usually composed of a long, thin metal bar with a fluke tip at its end.

Weapon: Harpoon
Style: Range
Size/Type: M/P
Group: 5
Weight: 2,3
Price: 18A
Special: Ungarded, Volant, Hefty, Penetrating, Impaling

Trident:
A large three prong head weapon that is slightly shorter than a long spear. It is used by fisher and for combat, especially gladiatorial combat in Pelosia where it is often combined with a net.

Weapon: Trident
Style: Finesse
Group: 5
Weight: 5,3
Price: 32 Dt
Special: Pelosian Fending, Hefty, Penetrating, Weapon-Catching, Impaling*

* Some trident are designed with barbed tines (which can impale), other simply straight tines (which does not impale).

Boneguard

Postby 348 White » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Following are Raphaelian items. Not too sure on weapon catagory of the boat hook.

rRAPHAELIA

Armour
Armour Area Weight P/S/B AAV
Steel Secret Head 1.1 5/7/3 5

Secret: The secret is a smaller and lighter version of the steel hardcap. It is typically worn concealed under civilian headwear, especially amongst the fashion conscious races of Dromal and Raphelia.
Price: NPY: 17, BAT: 20, DRO: 16, PEL: 17, RAP: 16

WEAPONS

Boat hook
Size/Type: M/P
Group: 6
Special: Fending, Light
Used in conjunction with a hatchet this is a duelling weapon used in Raphaelian challenges whereby the protagonists each stand in a boat that is lashed to their opponents.

Cape
The short cape favoured by fashion conscious Raphaelians has been adapted by some Bajo as an improvised weapon for use in their offhand. Unless an individual has at least one Rank with this weapon it will count as an improvised weapon. It counts as a medium weapon for determining if it can be used for the Fending Advanced manoeuvre.
Range: 1
Special: Entangle, Fending, Ineffectual, Tripping

Weight: 1.5 kg
Cost: NPY: 6Rs BAT: 5cr DUM: 6Mk DRO: 5sm HTZ: 6B PEL: 7Dt RAP: 6A URU: 4Ml YUR:
Last edited by 348 White on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
348 White

Postby Boneguard » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:56 am

Looks nice. Cape were indeed used as a substitute to a shield so it makes for a good parrying weapon.

I would see the hook as a category 00 weapon as it's not really relatés to anything and it's not really used like most short bladed weapon.

Just my 2 bits

Boneguard

Postby 348 White » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:59 pm

I imagine a boat hook is used as a polearm ( I've written rules for gaff hooks as well).

I've added lots of extra weapons in my Raphaelian notes, which are actually covered in some historic fencing techniques: Cloaks, Hats, Lanterns and the Trident dagger.
348 White

Return to Other OT stuff